Have you ever heard of PCOS?
It is otherwise known as Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome, and it is the most common disorder in women within the hormonal system. Up to 10% of the women between the ages of 18-44 are affected by this problem.
So, what IS PCOS?
Good question! PCOS is when you have cysts in your ovaries. This can cause a hormonal imbalance or hormone deficiency. Your levels of androgen are raised more than they normally should be, and this then causes a disturbance in your menstrual periods. Your normal ovulation gets delayed, or does not happen at all!
Okay, so now we know what PCOS is, but what can cause it?
Well the exact cause of PCOS is not known. However, the following factors have been linked to PCOS.
- PCOS has been known to be hereditary. If your sister or mother has had PCOS don’t worry, because this doesn’t mean you will have it, it just means the chances are increased.
- Obesity has also been linked to PCOS. It can increase your chances of developing the hormone condition. The good thing in this case, is that the condition can be reversed with weight-loss and regular exercise.
- Type 2 Diabetes and Insulin Resistance is also common in women diagnosed with PCOS.
So, how do I know if YOU have PCOS?
Ladies, keep a lookout for these symptoms;
- Multiple cysts are found inside your ovaries. The best way to tell is by having an ultrasound examination. Don’t be afraid to get a check-up as there are things we at Glow Medical can do to help.
- Irregular periods- when it comes to PCOS, your menstrual cycle can either be delayed or non-existent!
- Full Body Wax Please! More trips to the salon? An increase in male hormones. Signs such as excess facial hair and body hair such as chest, abdomen and even fingers! And in comparison- hair loss from the scalp.
- Breaking out? Acne is commonly seen both on the face back and shoulders.
- Experiencing any fertility issues? PCOS interferes with your ability to get pregnant. Come to us at Glow Medical for a check-up, so we can see what’s going on and help you the best way we can
So, what are the complications of having PCOS?
- Along with being fertility challenged, if you are diagnosed with PCOS you are more likely to develop Type 2 Diabetes, and this can lead to further health problems and risks including chronic renal failure.
- High Cholesterol levels! When your lipids are increased, it can lead to a stroke.
- Feeling unexplained sadness? Unfortunately, PCOS can lead to even psychological problems like depression. Keep your spirits up by doing endorphin releasing activities such as a group exercise class, or taking up a new hobby like learning a musical instrument or painting.
- Ladies with PCOS are at higher risk for uterine cancer. This is due to the irregular/ non existent periods which can cause endometrium to build up and become thick- this thickness leads to endometrial cancer.
How do you treat PCOS?
Conventional medicine has not found a ‘cure’ for PCOS. Foremost, we will focus on treating the most prominent, troubling symptoms. It may begin with regulating your menstrual cycle with oral contraceptives. However this is not a long-term solution, especially if you desire to be pregnant.
- Have you ever tried Homeopathy? When it comes to PCOS, it can be complicated to cure, so it’s best left to the homeopathic doctor. Homeopathy is for alternative medicine- focusing on restoring balance and vitality, treating the root cause of the problem.
TOP 3 HOMEOPATHY MEDICINES FOR PCOS!
- Apis Mellifica– curing swollen ovaries and pelvic pain? This effective, western remedy comes straight from the honey bee. .
- Pulsatilla– from the Pasqueflower! This is one of the oldest homeopathic remedies. It is especially effective for you ladies who suffer from suppressed periods.
- Lachesis– yes, from the venom of the Lachesis snake itself- this remedy found in South and Central American forests is no doubt, extremely powerful in relieving sharp, stinging pain from the ovaries and circulation issues with menstruation.
Interested? Want to know more? Make an appointment with Glow Medical today with our highly experienced Homeopathic Consultant Dr. Bhavna.
Remember, you’ll get 20% off your first consultation!